Tuesday, June 25, 2013

1 Year Anniversary

It's official! I've been in New York a year, and I couldn't think of a better way to celebrate than with a free concert by one of my favorite bands! 
Fist pump!! 
AND this may have been my favorite event to date (how many times can I say that? I keep one-upping myself). BUT it did combine a few of my favorite things: skateboarders, bands, Julie Pearson and free stuff. Hard to top that.
I am such a geek for good alternative rock bands. I may suffer from a "pre-occupied with 1985" syndrome However, AWOLNATION drew a pretty diverse crowd, so I was able to bypass the awkward/confused stares from adolescents. I will always believe I'm cool enough to be here! Period. Ninjasonik opened for them...they're kind of one hit wonders from Brooklyn. Their song "Daylight" is the ONLY good song in their repertoire. Ugh, they were pretty awful. 
Of course, AWOLNATION was great live. And the best part of the crowd, was it wasn't too crowded! Which, whether you like the band or not, free anywhere tends to draw a ridiculous crowd. So that was a pleasant surprise. I got to walk off into the sunset with "Sail" playing live...yeah, we left mid-song. Kiddos had had enough amps for one day!

New York and I have had our rough times. REALLY rough times. But, this city spoils me so I keep coming back for more. This trip downtown really marked the day that I decided to get over my issues with public transit and make it work. Funny how we can just stop bad attitudes if we really want to. Something that once made me sick to my stomach and was probably the center of my outings, is now just a small part of getting where I want to be. Sigh, it's so liberating. Our relationship promises to be an everlasting love! 

No comments: